Dr. Vo Introduction
MENTAL HEALTH ADVOCATE. HEALTHCARE SERVICE DISRUPTER. TECHNOLOGY EXPERT.
Dr. Krysti (Lan Chi) Vo, MD
Medical Director of Telehealth for the Department of Psychiatry of Behavioral Health Sciences at the Children’s Hospital of Pennsylvania (CHOP).
- Prior to the pandemic, she started 5 new telepsychiatry services within 1.5 years, including securing a partnership with a community mental health clinic.
- During the pandemic, Dr. Vo led the transition to telehealth services for over 300 staff.
Experienced Board Member
- Board of Trustee with the Georgia Psychiatric Physician Association,
- Recent Board Member (2016-2018) of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP).
- National Formal Training to be a Board Member on a William Penn Foundation’s Nonprofit through University of Pennsylvania’s DiverseForce of Board Training Program.
- Dr. Vo currently serves as the American Psychiatric Association’s (APA) Assembly Representative for the Asian American Caucus, and has worked with other minority and underrepresented representatives to advocate for issues related to police brutality, health disparities, diversity, and inclusion on a local and national level.
Furthermore, she has unique expertise in digital health and clinical care. She was a consultant to eClinicalWorks. For APA, she helped to design EHR data extraction for the APA National Registry and the created content for redevelopment of the APA Foundation “Typical or Troubled” program, now called “Notice. Talk. Act.” She also participated in a fellowship with Mount Sinai Innovation Partners. She currently serves on the AACAP’s Health Information Technology Committee and Telepsychiatry Committee, and she previously served on APA’s Council of Quality Care and Committee on Mental Health Technology.
To date, she has received over twenty awards, including from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, APA, AACAP. She was a APA Foundation Public Psychiatry Fellow. She is committed to community psychiatry, and she has integrated telepsychiatry with collaborative care into a new innovative model designed for CHOP’s 32 primary care sites and our community partners.
Dr. Vo is driven to improve the quality of life for patients and their families through combining evidence-based research with technology and design. She has been recognized for her research by both federal agencies and non-profit foundations. Her current research focus is to develop digital health products for suicide risk screening of children and adolescents in primary care settings, and to connect those with suicide risks to mental health care. Currently, she has received support from both the Twilio Impact Fund and CHOP’s Youth Suicide Prevention, Intervention, and Research Center.
She gives back to the community and provides educational group events for the general public to destigmatize conversations surrounding mental health and emphasize the importance of mental wellness. Every year on her birthday, Dr.Vo arranges initiatives to raise attention to mental health. This year, she is providing free individual sessions to individuals who call NAMI Philadelphia Hotline for support.
There’s more to Dr. Vo! Learn more about Dr. Vo’s childhood and personal journey and about the activities Dr. Vo engages in.