EXPERIENCED COMMUNITY ORGANIZER. MENTAL HEALTH ACCESS ADVOCATE.
My focus is on using advocacy and innovations to address the needs of diverse communities, including issues in healthcare, organization, and access disparity.
I empathizes with the struggles of disadvantaged communities since I am first-generation Vietnamese American immigrant who grew in subsidized housing with medical assistance in middle America, Fort Worth, Texas. The social determinants of health continues to impact my family and community.
- This upbringing inspired my career in psychiatry and to pursue digital health research to create solutions to access to mental health care for underserved patient populations.
During medical school, I earned a M.D. with Distinction in Research for my research using functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) analysis to predict cocaine relapse.
I have a long track record of building sustainable programs for diverse and underserved communities.
- In high school, I co-founded “Building Communities for the Future,” a seven-day community service program that included door-to-door survey to understand the predominantly African American community needs, and advocacy for the successful removal of toxic debris of Hurricane Katrina.
- In college, climate change inspired my bench lab research in cultivating cyanobacteria for sucrose production for alternative fuel.
- During medical school, Dr. Vo learned that underserved communities are overwhelmingly affected by specific diseases, such as hepatitis B: She founded the Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW) Hepatitis B Free Project to provide hepatitis B screenings, follow-ups, and vaccinations for at-risk populations in the community.
- In its first year of development, the team received a Certificate of Recognition from the Commissioner of the Texas Department of State Health Services. Her blueprint for this project proved to be an effective and sustainable model that received numerous grants and an honor from the White House in 2016.
What Dr. Vo Has Done
Author of “COVID-19 and Anti-Asian Racism.”
Dr. Vo speaks at Going Digital Behavioral Health
Dr. Vo quoted on mHealth Intelligence
Podcast Resource for Telepsychiatry: Expanding Access to Mental Care
Speaker at Boston World Congress: 11th Annual mHealth and Telehealth Summit
Advocated for Equitable Opportunities at Pennsylvania’s Diversity Council’s Women in Leadership Symposium
Contributor Author for “Culture, Heritage, and Diversity in Older Adult Mental Health Care” by Maria D. Llorente, M.D., FAPA (APA Council on Geriatric Psychiatry